Factors Your Doctor May Consider – Drug Pump
The treatment option that will work best for you depends on your type of pain, how severe it is, and how you respond to pain treatment.
A drug pump might be right for you if:
- Your pain persists even though you are taking medication as directed
- Your medication is causing side effects that are reducing the quality of life for you and your family
- You have had a successful screening test
After your doctor confirms that you are a candidate for a drug pump, he or she may decide to perform a screening test that will allow you to temporarily experience the therapy.
During this test, your doctor may choose one of two procedures:
- Single injection – a single injection of a small amount of medication into your spinal column, similar to an epidural injection
- Continuous infusion – a continuous infusion of medication is delivered to the area around the spinal cord through a temporary, implanted catheter (this test takes place over several days)
Information on this site should not be used as a substitute for talking with your doctor.
Always talk with your doctor about diagnosis and treatment information.
Last updated: 27 Sep 2010